Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Homemade Condensed Soups


I love casseroles and with casseroles usually comes condensed soup.  Condensed soup is full of not-so-natural things if you haven't noticed.  Now that my family is trying to eat more naturally, I went on an online search for cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup recipes.  I found the cream of chicken soup recipe here.  As easy as it looks I made it even easier.  I have issues with picking chicken off of a bone so I don't buy a whole chicken and cook it, (strange I know, to me it's just gross).  Instead I buy a box of organic chicken broth, (organic because all of the ingredients are natural), and use that as the base.  Now if you read the ingredients in the chicken broth you will see that it is already seasoned with almost all of the ingredients the recipe calls for.



















I just added a little extra of the seasonings I already had and continued to follow the recipe.  I found the cream of mushroom soup recipe here and it can't get much easier than this! 


I have made both recipes in triple batches and put the extra in the freezer in portion sizes that I will use for casseroles.  The next time I'm going to make a casserole, I can just thaw some soup and know that it is mmm, mmm good!! 

11 comments:

  1. Very neat. Thanks for sharing. I use a ton of Cream of Chicken and Mushroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo! I saved this to my recipes file. I use cream of mushroom soups in my casseroles all the time. Your recipe looks delicious and who knew it would be so easy? Thanks for linking this to Woo Hoo! Wednesday and congratulations on being this weeks feature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU!! I'm allergic to soy and MSG, both of which are in most canned condensed soups, so I have been unable to use recipes that call for them. This is a great alternative! Incidentally, I too hate picking meat off the bone. It gives me the creeps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to try this and soon! The sodium content in canned soups is astronomical, this gives me at least a little bit of control over it! Thanks so much for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea. Can you also can them?.. I use a similar recipe to make the base for green bean casserole instead of canned soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet this is MUCH better than the canned soup. Now I'm just waiting for an invite over to your house for a casserole dinner. lol =0) I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely trying these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. I just happened across your blog and was reading some of your posts. I happened across your laundry cleaner post. If you haven't figured out something to use in place of the homemade fabric softener, I use vinegar. Plain, white vinegar, undiluted. About a half cup or quarter cup. Vinegar works everywhere! I keep a spray bottle with half vinegar, half water, and recently I used it to clean some honey and jelly off my carpet. Just sprayed and scrubbed with a brush. Works good on pet stains too, cleaning windows, floors, countertops...etc! And, no, my house does not smell like vinegar, the clothes do not smell like vinegar. It is wonderful!

    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a keeper! I dislike the condensed soups with all their added "stuff".

    The ease of substituting the organic broth makes it all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hope you all enjoy the soups!! you mave have to add or take away some seasonings to your specific taste, but they are good basic recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know I love this!!! Good Post something homemade that is used in a lot of different things and easy to can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete