Sunday, May 23, 2010

Eat, Drink & Be Merry

I had this great idea to make a sign to go above my rather large kitchen window.  Correction, I was really inspired by Buzzings of a Queen Bee's sign and knew I had to have one of my very own. Since the sign was going in the kitchen I wanted it to say something "kitchen-y."  Eat, drink and be merry says kitchen-y to me! J said it sounds like we are going to have a drunken party....that is NOT what was going through my head, especially since we don't even drink, at all!  Then I remembered this was actually in the Bible.  So I looked it up and it is Ecc. 8:15; "Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labor the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun."  After showing my sarcastic husband, (he was just pickin'), that I did not plan on having a drunken party, I put him to work. 

J cut the wood and sanded the edges.  First, I painted the wood with some white paint.  Then, I found the style of letters I wanted to use off of the computer.  I drew the letters freehand from looking at the type that I chosen on to some white paper.  Then, I laid the paper on the sign to make sure the size and spacing would work.  Then I drew the letters on to the sign with pencil.  Next, I painted the letters and went around the edges with a black Sharpie so they would  have a smooth edge.  After the paint was dry, I took a damp paper towel and some antiquing polish, (from HL), and basically smeared it all over the sign.  A little antiquing polish goes a long way!  The good thing about antiquing polish is while it's still wet you can wipe it off if you get to much.  After everything was nice and dry, J hung it for me.  So, what are your first thoughts when you hear, "eat, drink and be merry?"
BTW, I have to do something with that light fixture....anyone have any suggestions besides take it to the curb??

26 comments:

  1. Hey great job on that sign!! It looks awsome.

    That light fixture is.. something else :) Maybe some track lighting in its place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks exactly like hers, except for the English words! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very country cottage looking! Adds a great touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the sign and new header it looks like you live at the beach ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl, I gave you an award today! You can check it out on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! As for the light... I'd consider painting the brown part of it to match the ceiling to make it less noticeable if you want a quick fix?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Love it! I would really like to see this on Modern Craftswoman Monday. Please link it up if you have time. Rory

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute sign, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cute sign! about the light: if you can't take it down and replace with a chandalier, how about hot gluing a skirt of fabric around the frame. Maybe use a coordinating fabric that matches the window treatment?? there are tons of chandy's at habitat for humanity that you can spray paint.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute. I love it above the sink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo Hoo! Awesome sign. You did good, girl :) I agree with Pink and Polka Dot that a coordinating fabric could look really cute around the "frame" of the light or how about the tried and true spray paint - if you can take down the fixture of course. Thanks for linking to Woo Hoo! Wednesday. You have the sweetest blog and I love the photo of you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking and helping to make this the most successful Modern Craftswoman Monday so far! Rory

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks everyone for the ideas for the light....you got my wheels turnin'

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great kitchen sign! It turned out really cute. And I love your blog header. Very sweet pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the sign. Such a neat idea. I have to say it but I think I would take the light fixture to the curb... If you could paint the wood edges white like your trim it would blend in pretty well, I think. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. visting from Frugal Friday- the sign you made is adorable to say the least...oh my goodness. GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job on the sign. I'd paint the dark wood white or trim it out with the same molding that frames to windows and paint it white. Then...I'd keep my eyes open for a wire basket or tray ad put it over the whole light fixture. If the you use a wire office style in-basket you might want to "age" it a little. I think the metal would add some nice texture to the ceiling. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. How about using mirror tiles on the light fixture? Then you could etch your saying on the mirrors or some design. Ginger G.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your sign. Regarding the light, we had a similar one, but believe it or not, MUCH uglier. Think 4' shop light with exposed fluorescent tubes! I bought a recessed can light (after talking to Lowe's employee about the correct kind to buy) and was able to cut a hole around where the old receptacle box was and then wire the can light. Much better! Just be sure to turn off the power before you attempt, and if there is insulation, use a recessed light that can be next to insulation!

    Brittany
    http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's an remarkable piece of writing designed for all the internet viewers; they will obtain benefit from it I am sure.

    Here is my blog: serrure porte de garage basculante

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing issues here. I am very satisfied to peer
    your post. Thanks so much and I'm looking ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

    Also visit my blog post - porte de garage laterale coulissante

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it's truly informative. I'm going to watch out for brussels.

    I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

    Here is my page: motorisation volet roulant

    ReplyDelete