Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Homemade dishwasher detergent

Here is a picture of all of the things I bought this weekend to make homemade cleaning products.  First I made dishwasher detergent.  I combined  1 cup of Washing Soda and 1 cup of Borax and shook it up.....that's it, no kidding!  Use 1-2 tablespoons per cycle.  I also used white vinegar in the place of rinse aid.  I have washed two cycles of dishes using this recipe and I have to say, it seems to work just as well if not better than my old detergent.  EZ PZ, cost effective and eco-friendly!! 
Stay tuned, next up is laundry detergent  :)

9 comments:

  1. get out! its really that easy??? sheesh!! I run my child care d/w 2 or 3x daily & teh home d/w sometimes daily sometimes every other. this would save me a BUNDLE!! THANKS FOR SHARING!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome - we just got a dishwasher and I think my son's allergic to the Cascade b/c he's been spitting up a lot since we got it. When do you add the rinse aid? I am new to this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if all dishwashers are made the same, but mine has a spot to fill with rinse aid next to the soap holder. I just unscrewed the top and filled it until the little window is black (which means it is full).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good girl! One Christmas I gave all the girls a gallon of vinegar with a couple of pages of recipes! It was one of the biggest hits at Christmas.
    smiles, alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to start using this..because now that I'm at home I use the dishwasher a LOT more. Cascade tabs aren't cheap either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool...maybe I should give this a try! Hope you have a FUN day:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. As soon as my dishwasher WORKS, I am so doing this!!! Please pray for my beloved dishwasher I miss her dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh thank you thank you for this! I currently wash my dishes with regular detergent and then rinse them 2X. Too many chemicals!

    I know you'll love the deo on my blog. It's hard to believe that it's better than the regular stuff.

    I'll be back for more - I'm a follower now :)

    Thank you again for posting this detergent mix!

    ReplyDelete