Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cleaner and Greener-You ARE What You Eat

I am starting a quest to eliminate some of the chemicals we consume and use in our home.  It is a little overwhelming to think of all of the things we eat and use that are filled with chemicals.  I am not going no-deo extreme or anything, (as of now), but I would like to change some of the basics.  1 Cor. 6:19-20 speaks of your body being the temple of the Holy Ghost; that being said I want to take care of my body to the best of my ability.  Below I share a little of my view on food.  I have been doing some on-line research about cleaning products and such the last couple of days.  I plan on making a couple of those cleaning recipes this weekend.  I hope you will follow along on this cleaner and greener journey and please feel free to add any comments or tips!




You ARE what you eat
Growing up I always heard the saying, "you are what you eat".  This saying has become more real to me over the past year or so of my life.  I am quickly approaching 30 and it would frighten me to know how many chemicals I have consumed in my life time.  My friend Kerri really brought this to my attention when she told me of an old school friend of hers that is a vegan/dietitian and she was going to have this friend make out a "plan" to basically change her eating habits.  Kerri, I love you, but when you told me what this chic eats and doesn't eat, I thought you were nuts.  However, since then, I have been more aware and conscious of all of the "non-food" products in our food.  I have started reading the labels of food ingredients and it blows my mind of the junk in everything I eat that I can't even pronounce.  Seriously, I nursed both of my children for months just to hand them a cheerio or gold fish at 10 mo. old that has about 4 recognizable ingredients, something about that is just not right.  I'm not sayin' I'll never eat another Big Mac or my kids will never have another Chicken McNugget, (which btw did you see the article on MSN the other day, 30 ingredients in a McNugget, you just thought it was chicken).  I just don't want my kids to become accustomed to being "chemically feed."  Over the past few months I have started changing the obvious and easiest things first.  I try to buy all natural chips, snacks and juice and diary.  I can't do this cold turkey and I may never be "all natural" but I do plan on eliminating what I can.  Any one that has tips or suggestions, please share!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you brought up those verses in Corinthians - another great reminder of why this journey is so important to attempt!

    ReplyDelete