Friday, February 12, 2010

Grandmother's Green Rocker


I ran across a post at A Penny Saved about a green velvet sofa she is going to use in her nursery.  As I was reading I was in disbelief  because I thought I was the only one who would ever want green velvet furniture.  When I was pregnant with Mason I knew I would need a rocking chair for the nursery.  Being the frugal one that I am, I remembered my never-get-rid-of-anything dad had a rocking chair that belonged to my grandmother in his attic.  My whole family, husband included, couldn't believe I actually wanted "Mimmie's green rocker".  But I had a vision.  Ok, not really, I just needed a rocker.  I got the chair and placed it in what was our office/catch all room before we converted it into the nursery.  Every time J went in there he made some not so nice comment about the chair.  I have to admit there were a few times I went in that room and wondered what was I thinking myself, but I had already proclaimed it's greatness so there was no turnin' back.  I really didn't have a plan to start with, so when I went shopping for crib bedding I looked for something to match that green rocker.  I found some bedding at TJ Maxx and I believe it was $70 for the set and I was in business!  The set included a quilt, bumper, skirt, sheet and 1 valance.  Since the room has 2 windows I took the valance that was in the crib set and turned it into 3 pillows.


Now with the pillow and a throw on the rocker it fits right in.  I know deep down J is glad I got this thing, especially while he is rocking in a comfy chair in the middle of the night!



I'm linking up to "FREE Friday" @ A Very Blessed Nest!

5 comments:

  1. I luv your throwback rocker, especially cause it was free and now being used unlike before, and it looks awesome with the crafty pillows. I'm jealous of your sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that rocker. It's very comfy! =0) I love those pillows too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love it! Mason's room is adorable. You are a true visionary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great, and I love the primary color! How special to find a way to incorporate such a special piece! Thanks for linkin' up to FF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like that chair and it's special that it belonged to your grandmother. It has a retro chic quality about it.

    ReplyDelete